Roasted Vegetable Pasta
Picnic-lovers: You’ve gotta try this one. Depending on your choice of vegetables, it’s a combination barbecue and summer afternoon in Northern Italy. And it’s vegan!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 small eggplant, sliced
- 3 Tbsp. top-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3 tsp. salt, divided
- 1¼ tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 1 box (1 lb.) fusilli, penne, or other small pasta shape, cooked according to package directions
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- ⅛ tsp. sugar
- ½ cup roughly chopped Italian parsley
- Heat grill (or a stovetop grill pan) to medium-hot. In a large mixing bowl, toss zucchini, peppers, onion, and eggplant with 1 tablespoon olive oil, crushed red pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
- Cook vegetables on the grill, without turning, until they are slightly more than halfway done. Eggplant will take longest. Turn the vegetables to finish, then remove to a platter to cool. When the vegetables are cool, cut into 1" pieces.
- Place grilled vegetables in a bowl, and add the cooked pasta, olive oil, vinegar, and sugar. Toss to coat. Marinate 30 minutes. Season with remaining salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 1 day.