Roasted Yellow Bell Pepper Soup
Try using orange or red bell peppers to make a brilliant colored soup. Garnish with strained Greek yogurt and cubed roasted beets.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek (white part only), ends trimmed, thoroughly cleaned, cut lengthwise, and sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- ½ stalk celery, ends trimmed and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1½ tsp. salt, divided
- ½ tsp. pepper, divided
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 4 large roasted yellow bell peppers
- 1 small hot banana pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup sliced fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated Graviera (or Gruyère) cheese
- Add the oil to a large pot over medium heat and heat for 30 seconds. Add the leeks, carrot, celery, and garlic. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes or until the leeks soften.
- Add the potatoes, paprika, and thyme. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the roasted peppers, banana pepper, and stock. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Add the basil. Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, carefully purée the soup until it is smooth. Add cream, cheese, and remaining salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese is melted and the soup smooth.
- Serve hot.