Rocky Road Ice Cream
This is a classic ice cream for all ages. Chocolate ice cream; fluffy marshmallows; crunchy, toasty almonds; and chocolate chips are a perfect combination.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 10 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup half and half
- ⅓ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 package (12 oz.) high-quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup chopped toasted almonds
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Heat the half and half and cocoa powder in a medium saucepan to a simmer.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl, then slowly pour the half and half into the egg yolks to temper them. Return mixture to the pot and stir constantly over medium heat until thickened, being sure not to boil. Remove from heat and add chocolate. Stir until smooth.
- Add cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.
- Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Just before storing, fold in the marshmallows, almonds, and chocolate chips.