If you don’t like sweet potatoes, a russet potato can be substituted in this soup.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1½ tsp. curry powder
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 small celery root, chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a boil over high heat.
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté on medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and curry powder, and sauté for 30 seconds. Sprinkle the flour over the top and whisk for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the boiling broth and the parsnip and carrots. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, celery root, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 10 to 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.