Focaccia dough is not kneaded; this makes the air holes large and the texture of the finished bread coarse.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1⁄4 oz.) instant-blend dry yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 cup grated Romano cheese
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour and yeast and mix well. In microwave-safe glass measuring cup, combine water, honey, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and salt. Microwave on 50-percent power for 1 minute or until mixture is very warm.
- Add to flour mixture; beat for 2 minutes. Stir in rosemary, oregano, and beat for 1 minute.
- Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a soft dough. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Grease 2 round pizza pans (12 inch). Divide dough into two parts and press each part into prepared pans. Push your fingertips into the dough to make dimples. Drizzle remaining olive oil over the dough; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Bake bread for 13 to 18 minutes or until deep golden brown. Cool on wire racks.