Royal Rice (Shahi Chawal)
Serve this classic rice pilaf, or pilao, with roast or grilled chicken, Indian flatbreads, and a yogurt sauce.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup dried dates, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup dried apricots, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 Tbsp. cashews
- 4 Tbsp. slivered almonds
- 2 green cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 black cardamom pod
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups water
- Place the dates and apricots in a bowl. Add the cream and milk, and let soak for 3 hours.
- In a deep pan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the cashews and sauté for 20 seconds. Add the almonds and green cardamom; sauté for another 20 seconds.
- Add the bay leaf, black cardamom, and rice; sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the salt, water, and the apricot-date mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover and cook until the rice is done, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.