Rum Cake with Honey Glaze
This glaze is only slightly cooked—not enough to burn off the alcohol. For a non-alcoholic version, substitute
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. butter, softened
- 2½ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup dark rum
- 1 cup honey
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugars. Beat with a mixer on medium speed until butter is creamy and sugar is blended.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add ½ the flour the mixture, beat until blended. Add the milk and the remaining flour. Mix well. Add 2 tablespoons of rum to the batter and beat to incorporate.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured tube pan. Bake at 350ºF for 60 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn onto a serving plate. Let cool completely.
- Warm honey in a saucepan. Stir in remaining rum and cook over low heat until just warmed. With a skewer, poke holes all over the top of the cake. Slowly pour guava-rum glaze over the top of the cake, allowing as much as possible to soak into the cake.