Run for the Roses Cupcakes
These simply decorated lemony cupcakes are the perfect dessert for your Derby Day party.
Serves: 12Prep: 20 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 5 Tbsp.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened, plus 1 cup
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons Kroger® Vanilla Extract, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, divided
- Red food coloring
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups with liners; set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl beat lemon zest into ¾ cup sugar; add softened butter and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs and ½ teaspoon vanilla, continue beating to combine. Add flour mixture; beat on low to incorporate. Add ½ cup milk and beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared muffin cups. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan over medium-low heat whisk together milk and flour until very thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. If there are any lumps press through a fine mesh sieve.
- In a mixing bowl beat together butter and 1 cup sugar, 15-20 minutes or until sugar is no longer grainy. Add flour mixture and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy. Add red food coloring, tinting frosting to desired rose color.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag with a large star tip. Starting in the center, pipe frosting onto each cupcake with a simple swirl to resemble a rose.
- Tip: It will take less time to beat the frosting using a stand mixer.