This classic Russian soup is easy to make and full of nutrients.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 2 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb. (4 medium) red beets, peeled and shredded
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½" pieces
- ½ head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 8 Tbsp. sour cream
- 8 small sprigs fresh dill
- 1 loaf sourdough bread
- To a 6-quart stockpot over medium-high heat, add broth, onion, garlic, beets, and carrots; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add cabbage, salt, and black pepper; cook an additional 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in lemon juice. Ladle the soup into bowls; garnish with sour cream and fresh dill. Serve with sourdough bread.