Rustic Blueberry Ricotta Crostata
A crostata is an Italian free form pie. This one has a lemon-and-honey-flavored ricotta cheese base, juicy berries, and a crumbly buttery topping.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar, divided
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 pie crust (12"), unbaked and chilled
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- For the butter crumble: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ½ cup sugar, and salt. Using your fingers, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Chill for 30 minutes before using.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ricotta, lemon zest, vanilla, honey, sugar, egg yolk, and salt. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the chilled pastry on the prepared baking sheet. Spread the ricotta mixture onto the pastry leaving a ½" border. Arrange the blueberries over the ricotta mixture, then fold the pastry just over the edge of the filling. Top with the butter crumble.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the fruit is bubbling and both the crumble and pastry are golden brown. Cool to room temperature before serving.