Rustic Plum Cake
This fruity, rustic cake is lovely at brunch, with afternoon tea, or for dessert.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. plums, pitted and halved
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, toss plums with a 1⁄4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and the remaining cup of sugar together. Add the heavy cream, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Add one egg at a time, blending well, scraping side of bowl as needed. Add the flour mixture and mix until just blended. Slowly pour into prepared baking pan. Arrange plums, cut side up, in a single layer over the batter.
- Bake for about 60 minutes or until cake holds firm when lightly shaken.
- Let cool in pan. Run a knife around the pan edge. Release the springform latch and remove cake from pan. Serve at room temperature.