Rustic Raisin Bread
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 4 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ cups warm water
- 2½ tsp. active dry yeast
- 2½ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup wheat germ
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 egg white
- ½ Tbsp. water
- Combine water, yeast, and salt in mixer bowl or food processor. Using dough hook or dough attachment for food processor, add in remaining ingredients except egg white and ½ tablespoon water; mix well until very soft dough is formed.
- Transfer dough to loosely covered large bowl; allow to rise at room temperature for 2 hours. Dough can be used after rising; however, it is much easier to handle after it has been refrigerated several hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, lightly grease a baking sheet. Scoop dough out of bowl with wet hands (this makes it easier to handle); shape into elongated loaf and place on pan. Score the top of the dough with a sharp knife from one end to the other. Cover and allow dough to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush loaf with egg wash of 1 tablespoon egg white and ½ tablespoon water.
- Bake on middle rack of preheated oven. Place shallow pan of hot water on the lower rack to create steam under bread.
- Bake for 45–50 minutes, until bread is golden brown. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to wire rack. Allow bread to cool completely before slicing.