Saffron Crème Brûlée
This is a very interesting way to flavor a classic dessert.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 10 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 small pinch saffron
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Heat the cream and saffron to just under a simmer. Keep warm.
- Mix together the egg yolks and sugar. Slowly stir the cream mixture into the sugar mixture. Strain through a fine-meshed sieve.
- Pour into 4 small ramekins and place the ramekins in a baking pan. Fill the pan with water to about 1 inch up the sides of the ramekins. Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until lightly set. Let cool at room temperature for 1 hour, then cool in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat broiler. Sprinkle each ramekin with a 1⁄4-inch layer of sugar and place under the broiler, as close to the heat as possible, until the tops are very brown. Allow the sugar to cool for 1 minute, and then serve.