Salade de Haricots Blancs (White Bean Salad)
Haricots blancs are a frequently used legume in French cuisine. The best for this recipe are Haricots tarbais, but they are hard to find in the United States, so you can use fresh navy beans here.
Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutes
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and minced
- 4 spring onions, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. thyme
- 1 lb. fresh navy beans or 2 cups dried
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. minced parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onions, crushed garlic cloves, bay leaf, and thyme. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the navy beans, pour in 4 cups of water, stir well, and then cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add kosher salt 5 minutes before turning off the heat. Remove bay leaf.
- In a large bowl, combine cider vinegar with salt and pepper. Add 5 tablespoons of olive oil, one at a time, whisking well.
- Drain the navy beans, dry them, and pour them in the large bowl. Mince the parsley, add it to the navy beans, and toss well.
- Serve lukewarm.