There are large North African communities in France, and they have had a great influence on French cuisine. It’s unclear if this Moroccan salad recipe is actually made in Morocco, but it’s always a big hit in France! It’s also a perfect vegan meal, with vegetables and legumes.
Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. chopped scallions
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, minced, plus 8 cilantro leaves
- In a large salad bowl, pour the lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and stir well. Then slowly add the olive oil, whisking constantly and firmly, until the dressing is smooth and thick.
- Place garbanzo beans, tomatoes, and scallions in a salad bowl and toss to mix.
- Add oranges to bowl. Toss well, then add the ground cumin and stir again. Minced the cilantro thinly, reserving 8 leaves for decoration.
- Put in the refrigerator for an hour, to make sure the lemon and the cumin have time to really settle in the ingredients. Add the 8 cilantro leaves on top before serving.