This is the most famous French salad, and it’s definitely the healthiest. This salad was invented in Nice, along the Mediterranean coast. It’s a perfect example of the celebrated Mediterranean diet.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 large eggs
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 8 anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained
- 1 can (5 oz.) tuna in olive oil, drained
- 6 large basil leaves, shredded
- ½ cup small black olives
- Fill a medium bowl with ice water and set aside. Place eggs in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil eggs for 10 minutes. Remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon, then plunge them into ice water. Reserve.
- Rub the garlic clove on the inside of a large salad bowl, crushing the clove as you do so.
- Add vinegar, salt, and pepper to the bowl and stir well. Whisk in olive oil.
- Add the salad greens and toss to coat. Add tomatoes and green onion and toss again.
- Add anchovies and tuna and stir again. Remove eggs from water and peel and quarter them. Add to the salad.
- Add basil leaves and the olives just before serving.