Salt and Pepper Chicken
This same method can be used with chicken wings.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine
- 2 Tbsp. five-spice powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. plus 2 cups vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- ¼ cup sliced scallions
- Cut the chicken into 1" pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix the egg whites, soy sauce, rice wine, five-spice powder, garlic powder, pepper flakes, and 1 tablespoon oil. Add the chicken, tossing to coat evenly. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat the remaining 2 cups oil in a wok to 375°F. In a shallow dish, whisk together the rice flour and salt.
- Working in batches, toss the chicken into the flour mixture to coat evenly. Shake off excess flour and add the chicken to the wok. Fry until the chicken has turned golden brown and is cooked through, approximately 3–4 minutes. Drain on plates lined with paper towels and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Place the chicken on a plate and sprinkle scallions over the top. Serve hot.