Salty and Sweet Chicken
If desired, vegetables like bell peppers can be added to the dish at the end of preparation.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp. chopped shallot
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro stems
- 3 small Thai chilies, 1 minced and 2 julienned, divided
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 cups boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 cup sliced yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- Combine garlic, shallot, cilantro stems, and minced chili in a mixing bowl. Heat a wok or deep sauté pan until hot. Add oil and fry the garlic mixture over medium heat for 10 seconds until fragrant.
- Add chicken and stir-fry. Add stock, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Simmer for about 15 minutes over medium-low heat until the meat is darkened.
- Add onion and scallion and stir-fry until translucent, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and serve over rice. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves and julienned chilies.