Salty and Sweet Chicken
If desired, vegetables like bell peppers can be added to the dish at the end of preparation.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp. chopped shallots
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro stem
- 3 Thai chilies, divided
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 cups chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. white sugar
- 2 Tbsp. palm sugar
- 2 Tbsp. light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 1 cup sliced onions
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- Pinch of chopped cilantro
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 2–3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 Thai chilies, stemmed and julienned
- Combine garlic, shallot, cilantro stems, and 1 finely chopped chili in a mixing bowl. Heat a wok or deep sauté pan until hot. Add oil and fry the garlic mixture over medium heat for 10 seconds until fragrant.
- Add chicken and stir-fry. Add water or stock, sugar, palm sugar, and both soy sauces. Simmer for about 15 minutes over medium-low heat until the meat is darkened. Add more water or stock if needed.
- Add all onions and stir-fry until translucent, about 2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. It should taste sweet and salty. Turn off the heat and served over rice. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves and remaining chilies, julienned.