If you can find them, Santorini yellow split peas (known as favas to Greeks) are far superior for this dish than commonly available varieties.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. dry yellow split peas
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. chopped scallions
- Wash split peas well in a basin with lots of water.
- Put peas in pot; add water to cover by about ½". Add onion and 1 tablespoon olive oil; bring pot to a boil and simmer approximately 40 minutes, stirring occasionally and skimming off any froth. Add salt.
- When peas have thickened and are fully cooked, remove from heat and purée until smooth with an immersion blender or food processor.
- Refrigerate 2 hours. Before serving, top with remaining olive oil, lemon juice, and scallions.