Sassy Summer Chutney
This is a sweet-savory blend that can be used as a condiment, side dish, or sauce. If you’d like to can it, use the hot-water bath method for 15 minutes.
Makes: 4 pintsHands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 4 pints
- 1 lb. fresh apricots
- 1 lb. fresh peaches
- 1 lb. fresh nectarines
- 1 lb. fresh pears
- 2 small seedless oranges
- 2 Tbsp. freshly ground ginger
- 20 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 cups sweet onions, finely diced
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2" stick cinnamon
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- Peel and chop the apricots, peaches, nectarines, and pears; put into a large pot.
- Carefully remove the peel from the orange. Chop orange, ginger, and garlic; add to the pot. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer for 45 minutes, continuing to stir regularly. The chutney will begin to thicken.
- Cool and remove cinnamon and clove. Move into freezer-safe containers, leaving ¼" headspace for expansion. Freeze; use within 6–8 months.