Sauerkraut Potato Gratin
Tangy sauerkraut cuts through the richness of creamy, potato gratin for an indulgent side that pairs perfectly with roasted meats and sausage.
Serves: 8Prep: 15 minutesCook: 55 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups Kroger Brand Shredded Swiss Cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained and squeezed dry
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter an 8”x8” baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together cream, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper and caraway seeds. Add potato slices and toss gently to coat.
- Mix Swiss and Parmesan cheese together in a bowl and set aside.
- Layer the potato slices, overlapping slightly, in a single layer in the prepared dish. Top with ½ of the sauerkraut, and ⅓ of the cheese mixture. Repeat layering with potatoes, sauerkraut, cheese, then potatoes and finish with remaining cheese.
- Cover pan with foil and bake 45 minutes until potatoes are just tender.
- Remove foil and continue baking 10-15 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Allow to stand at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers.