Sausage and Cheesy Grits Casserole
Do you love cheesy grits? Then surprise your family and friends with this tasty brunch casserole. Use red, yellow or orange bell peppers for added color.
Serves: 15Prep: 35 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 packages (6.4 oz. each) heat-and-serve sausage links, cut into ½” pieces
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced green onion
- Butter or spray 13”x9” baking dish. Heat oven to 350°F.
- In 12” nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook and stir onion, pepper, celery and garlic in butter 10 minutes or until softened and beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile, in 4-quart saucepan, heat water, milk and salt to boiling. Slowly stir in grits. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In medium bowl, whisk sour cream and eggs. Gradually stir about 1 cup grits into egg mixture to temper eggs. Then stir egg mixture into remaining grit mixture. Stir in onion mixture, sausage and cheese.
- Spoon into baking dish. Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until set and beginning to brown. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into 5 rows by 3 rows. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream and green onion.