Sausage and Mushroom Artisan Pizza
Don’t get delivery – make your own pizza topped with sausage, mushroom, onion and, of course, melt-in-your-mouth mozzarella cheese.
Serves: 6Prep: 1 hour 10 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2⁄3 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups Simple Truth Organic™ Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon Simple Truth Organic™ Salted Butter
- 1 sweet onion, peeled, halved, and sliced thin
- 8 ounces Simple Truth Organic™ Sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 1⁄2 pound mild ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 green onions, chopped for garnish
- Prepare dough. In a large mixing bowl, stir sugar into water until dissolved. Sprinkle with yeast and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes, until foamy. Stir together, adding olive oil.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour and salt. Add to wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Using floured hands, knead until a smooth ball forms. Transfer to an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover loosely with a clean towel and set in a warm place to rise for at least one hour.
- Prepare topping. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion slices and mushrooms to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown and mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until onions caramelize, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove to a bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Using the same skillet, add sausage and return heat to medium. Cook until sausage is browned and cooked through, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- When ready to prepare pizzas, divide dough into two even pieces to make two 10” pizzas. Place on baking sheet or pizza stone. Use a fork and prick all over and brush with olive oil.
- Bake dough for 5 minutes, then carefully remove crust from oven.
- Top with a thin layer of pizza sauce to within ½” of the dough edge. Top with sausage and almost all the onions and mushrooms. Sprinkle pizza evenly with cheese, and the remaining onion/mushroom mixture.
- Bake for another 8 to 12 minutes until cheese is bubbly, crust edges are golden brown and bottom is crispy.
- Garnish with green onions. Let cool slightly before cutting.