Sausage, Apple & Cranberry Breakfast Torta
Wake holiday houseguests with a sweet (and delicious-smelling) surprise by baking Jimmy Dean® Pork Sausage, ricotta cheese, eggs, apples and cranberries together in a flaky puff pastry. Talk about a breakfast that impresses!
Serves: 12Prep: 25 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 25 minutes
- 1 package (16 oz.) Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Regular Sausage
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 large golden delicious apples, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened cranberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 7 eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Unfold pastry sheets. On lightly floured surface, roll out sheets to two (12-inch) squares.
- Spray bottom of a 9” springform pan with cooking spray. Line with one sheet dough on bottom and upsides of pan.
- In a small bowl, toss apples and cranberries with sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat 6 eggs and vanilla with wire whisk until well blended. Add ricotta cheese; mix well.
- Layer half of the sausage, ricotta cheese mixture, apples and cheddar cheese on top of the crust. Repeat layer.
- Top with remaining pastry sheet, fold under edges of pastry and tuck inside of pan. Beat remaining egg and use to brush pastry. Cut 4 slits in top crust. Bake 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes. Run small knife around edge of pan to loosen crust before removing rim. Cut into 12 wedges and serve. Refrigerate leftovers.