Sausage, Apple, and Sage Stuffing
Make your own wheat-free corn bread for stuffing a day or two before, cube, and place in the refrigerator in a plastic bag until ready to use.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery with tops, finely chopped
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage, sliced
- 10 cups cubed wheat-free corn bread
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 10 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 large tart apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a large frying pan, heat 4 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion, and celery, and sauté for 8–10 minutes, until soft.
- Add the sausage and cook until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Place mixture in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl. With your hands inside large plastic bags, use your hands to mix the ingredients well.
- Stuffing can be cooked inside a turkey as it roasts, or in a casserole dish at 325°F for 40 minutes.