Sausage and Black Bean Soup
Comfort food at its best, this hearty soup with a nice kick of spice from the Andouille sausage is excellent served with corn bread.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Andouille sausages, sliced
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 small habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 can (29 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 small green onion, thinly sliced
- Cook the sausage in a nonstick skillet until browned. Drain on paper towel–lined plates.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet. Add the onions, habanero, garlic, celery, and carrot. Sauté until the onions are soft, about 4 minutes.
- Put the beans, onion mixture, and sausage into a 4-quart slow cooker. Add the broth and stir. Cook on low for 8 hours. Sprinkle with green onions before serving.