“Sausage” Bread Pudding
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup soy “sausage” meat
- 1 tsp. Cajun or Creole seasoning or hot sauce to taste
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 3 Tbsp. melted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the garlic for about 30 seconds. Add and crumble the soy sausage, stirring as you crumble, and season with the Cajun seasoning. Reduce the heat to low.
- Meanwhile, beat together the milk, butter, and eggs until foamy. Stir in half of the cheese and the sausage mixture. Put the bread into the baking dish and pour the milk mixture over the bread, making 2 layers if necessary to fit in your dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake the pudding for about 45 minutes or until puffy and golden. Serve hot.