Sausage, Kale, and Tortellini Soup
This soup is an ideal entrée for those cool, crisp fall days.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Kielbasa or Italian sausage, cut into ½" coins
- 1 bulb fennel, chopped (top included)
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 8 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans, rinsed
- 8 oz. tortellini
- ¼ tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 oz. fresh Romano, grated
- 2 oz. fresh Parmesan, grated
- Heat the oil to medium temperature in a large stockpot. Add the sausage, fennel, leek, kale, tomatoes onion, shallot, and garlic; sauté for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and let reduce by half. Add the stock; simmer for 3½ to 4 hours.
- Add the beans and tortellini; let cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until tortellini is cooled al dente. Stir in pepper.
- Serve with cheeses sprinkled over the top.