Cheese, sausage, thyme, and some puff pastry make delicious little rolls that are perfect for breakfast on the run. Bake them ahead of time, freeze them, and then microwave each on high for 1 to 2 minutes until hot.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 24 pork breakfast sausage links
- 1 package (17.3 oz.) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a heavy skillet, cook sausage links over medium heat until golden brown and cooked, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Unfold puff pastry sheet and place on a lightly floured surface. In a small bowl, combine cheeses and thyme and toss to combine. Sprinkle this mixture over puff pastry and gently press it into pastry; roll into a 12-by-18-inch rectangle. Cut into 3 rectangles (12 by 6 inches), then cut each rectangle in half to make 6 squares. Cut each square into 4 squares (3 inches). Place a cooked and drained sausage on the edge of each square and roll up to enclose sausage; press edges of pastry to seal.
- In a small bowl, beat egg with salt and brush over sausage rolls. Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 18 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Serve hot.