These easy scones are perfect for breakfast on the run. Savory scones are a delightful alternative to takeout breakfast sandwiches.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 lb. bulk pork sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In heavy skillet, cook sausage until crumbly and brown. Drain on paper towels. In large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt and mix to combine. In small bowl, combine cream, egg, and melted butter and beat well; add all at once to flour mixture along with drained sausage and cheese. Stir until dough forms.
- Pat out dough into an 8-inch round on ungreased cookie sheet. Cut the circle into 8 wedge-shaped scones. Bake scones at 400° for 11 to 13 minutes, until very lightly browned and set. Cool on wire rack.