If you don’t have almond meal on hand, but you have some raw almonds, you can quickly make your own by throwing some almonds into a food processor and processing until the consistency reaches that of coarse sand.
Serves: 5Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 10 whole button mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1⁄4 cup almond meal
- 1⁄4 tsp. onion powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and chop stems into small pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add chopped mushroom stems and cook until softened, about 4 more minutes.
- Add sausage and remaining ingredients and cook until sausage is no longer pink, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Fill each mushroom cap with stuffing and arrange, stuffed-side up, on the baking sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until stuffing and mushrooms are browned.