If you don’t have almond meal on hand, but you have some raw almonds, you can quickly make your own by throwing some almonds into a food processor and processing until the consistency reaches that of coarse sand.
Serves: 5Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 10 whole button mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ lb. Italian sausage, casings removed
- ¼ cup almond meal
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and chop stems into small pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add chopped mushroom stems and cook until softened, about 4 more minutes.
- Add sausage and remaining ingredients and cook until sausage is no longer pink, about 5–7 minutes.
- Fill each mushroom cap with stuffing and arrange, stuffed-side up, on the baking sheet. Bake 20–25 minutes or until stuffing and mushrooms are browned.