Sausage Stuffed Red Onions
This recipe is a surprising dish to serve to guests, as it's one complete meal contained within an onion.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 8 medium red onions, peeled
- 1 lb. ground sausage meat
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 tsp minced thyme
- 2 cups white table wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with the oil. Cut the top off the onions and set the tops aside. Slice off the root bottom to create a flat base. Carefully scoop out the center of the onion and mince.
- Mix the onion centers with the sausage, breadcrumbs, and thyme.
- Place the onions in a microwave-safe dish with the wine, bay leaf, and black pepper. Cook for 3 minutes or until the onions are al dente. Let cool.
- Stuff the hollowed onions with the sausage mixture and top with cheese and the onion top. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, and serve hot.