Sautéed Baby Greens with Crispy Shallots
The oil leftover from frying the shallots is good in almost everything. Deeply fragrant, it’s great for salad dressings, seafood or even more sautéed greens.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 package (11oz.) baby sauté blend greens
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil starts to shimmer, add shallots. Cook, stirring frequently, until most of the shallots are golden brown. Remove the shallots with a slotted spoon and place them on paper towel to drain. Sprinkle shallots with 1⁄8 teaspoon salt.
- Drain all but one tablespoon of the oil from the skillet and return it to the heat. When the oil returns to a shimmer, add the greens, remaining salt, and pepper. Turning the greens as they wilt, cook them until they are almost all wilted.
- Remove from heat and add vinegar; toss to coat. Transfer the greens to a serving dish and top with the crispy shallots. Serve immediately.