Sautéed Goat Cheese with Spring Greens
Crunchy, golden discs of breaded goat cheese add a touch of elegance to a simple green salad.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tsp. sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup plus 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 cups mixed spring greens
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp. water
- ½ cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1 log (8 oz.) fresh goat cheese
- Combine vinegar, mustard, salt, and ⅓ cup olive oil in a small bowl and whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- Heat butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Combine egg whites and water in a shallow bowl and beat lightly. Put breadcrumbs on a small plate. Slice the goat cheese into 8 thick slices (½").
- Dredge the goat cheese rounds in the egg whites, coat with breadcrumbs, and place in skillet. Fry until golden brown and the cheese is slightly oozing.
- Toss greens with reserved vinaigrette and arrange on four serving plates. Top each with 2 warm rounds of goat cheese and serve.