Savory Asparagus Custard
A simple and different way to serve asparagus, the egg flavor of the custard complements the asparagus perfectly.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 8 asparagus tips
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Thoroughly butter 2 ramekins (8 oz. each).
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling salted water for about 3 minutes or until barely tender. Shock in cold water and drain. Set aside.
- Mix together eggs, cream, cheese, salt, and pepper. Divide between ramekins. Place the ramekins in a baking pan, and fill the pan with water to about 1 inch up the sides of the ramekins. Place the pan in the oven, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the custard comes out clean (about 30 minutes).
- Turn the ramekins out onto a serving plate. Top with reserved asparagus tips and serve.