Savory Cheesecake Pizza Tarts
This dish has its roots in ricotta-topped pizzas. Serve it with a side of mixed greens or pear slices for a small plate or appetizer course.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup ice-cold water
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 3 oz. goat cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 8 small baking dishes (4 inches) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, pour flour and whisk to break up any lumps. Add shortening and salt to the bowl and work ingredients together with two knives or a pastry blender. Continue cutting and blending until mixture resembles pea-sized granules.
- Add cold water and 1 egg to mixture and stir. Work with hands until mixture is well blended and holds together in a ball.
- Divide dough into 8 portions and roll into 5-inch circles. Press dough circles into prepared baking dishes and up the sides. Put nonstick foil over center of crust and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven, remove foil, and let crusts cool slightly.
- Brush insides of tart shells with pesto sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, goat cheese, and sour cream. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add 3 eggs one at a time, beating each until completely incorporated.
- Pour cheesecake batter over crusts and sprinkle shredded mozzarella over each.
- Bake tarts for 20 minutes or until center is set. Serve at room temperature.