Savory Cheesecake Pizza Tarts
This dish has its roots in ricotta-topped pizzas. Serve it with a side of mixed greens or pear slices for a small plate or appetizer course.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup ice-cold water
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup pesto sauce
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 3 oz. goat cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 8 small baking dishes (4") with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, pour flour and whisk to break up any lumps. Add shortening and salt to the bowl and work ingredients together with two knives or a pastry blender. Continue cutting and blending until mixture resembles pea-sized granules.
- Add cold water and 1 egg to mixture and stir. Work with hands until mixture is well blended and holds together in a ball.
- Divide dough into 8 portions and roll into 5" circles. Press dough circles into prepared baking dishes and up the sides. Put nonstick foil over center of crust and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven, remove foil, and let crusts cool slightly.
- Brush insides of tart shells with pesto sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, goat cheese, and sour cream. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add 3 eggs one at a time, beating each until completely incorporated.
- Pour cheesecake batter over crusts and sprinkle shredded mozzarella over each.
- Bake tarts for 20 minutes or until center is set. Serve at room temperature.