Savory Chicken Pot Pie
Save to My Recipes
This pot pie is great topped with biscuits instead of the pie crust. Feel free to substitute frozen mixed vegetables or baby lima beans for the frozen peas.
Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 2 hours 35 minutes
- 4 lbs. bone-in chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, wings, legs)
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. dried thyme, crumbled
- 2½ tsp. salt, divided
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1½ cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 sheet pie pastry, unbaked
- Wash chicken and pat dry. In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, combine chicken with water, broth, onion, celery, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 1½ hours or until chicken is very tender.
- Remove chicken and strain broth into a bowl. Return 2 cups of strained broth to the pot. Refrigerate or freeze remaining broth for another use. Add carrots to the pot. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender.
- Meanwhile, when chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from the bones and chop. Place chicken in a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a cup or small bowl, combine flour, 1 teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon pepper, and milk. Whisk until smooth. Stir flour mixture into the pot and then add peas. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer until peas are tender.
- Pour sauce and vegetables over chicken in the baking dish. Gently stir to combine ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare crust: Roll out dough to fit the baking dish with a ½" overhang. Fold the edge under, seal, and crimp the edges. With a sharp knife, cut several vents in the top so steam can escape.
- Bake chicken pot pie for 20 minutes or until crust is browned and filling is hot and bubbly.