Savory French Toast with Herb Purée
A strata is a versatile savory casserole made with thick pieces of bread soaked in milk or cream. You can layer the bread with shredded cheese, cooked vegetables or meat, and fresh herbs. Here we dress up a simple strata with a fresh herb puree.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 6 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 large eggs
- 3½ cups whole milk
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 loaf (16 oz.) of day-old Italian bread, cut into 2" cubes
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1½ teaspoons pepper. Grease the inside of a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with a teaspoon of olive oil. Place the bread in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour the egg mixture over it. Cook on low for 4–6 hours or on high for 2–3 hours.
- Place the parsley, thyme, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and lemon juice in a blender. Process until smooth. Reserve.
- Serve strata immediately with herb puree.