Savory Mango Corn Bread
This savory cornbread is great with black bean soup, cooked greens, or as a snack with a drizzle of sorghum syrup.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Put butter into a standard loaf pan and melt in the hot oven. Coat the sides of the pan with the melted butter and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Pour melted butter into a small bowl; In a small bowl, whisk in buttermilk, milk, and eggs. Pour into the dry mixture and mix until just blended. Stir in the mango and corn and pour into the prepared loaf pan; bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.