Savory Pot Roast
Pot roast is the perfect meal for a cold snowy day. You get all the preparation out of the way in the morning, and it will make your home smell fabulous as it cooks to perfection in the slow cooker.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 10 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 lbs. beef bottom round roast
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable juice cocktail
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. ketchup
- Trim excess fat from beef and sprinkle with flour, salt, and pepper. Heat vegetable oil in large skillet. Brown beef on both sides over medium high heat, about 5 to 7 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, in 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, combine onion, potatoes, and carrots. Place beef on vegetables.
- Add wine and vegetable juice cocktail to skillet; cook and stir to remove pan drippings. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Pour over beef in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 hours until beef and vegetables are very tender. Serve beef and vegetables with sauce.