Savory Roast Chicken Dinner
This one-dish meal is easily doubled or tripled to serve a crowd; just use more roasting pans.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 5 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup plus 2 tsp. salt, divided
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 quarts water
- 1 whole chicken (3 lbs.), giblet packet removed from cavity
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped oregano
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 6 medium shallots, halved
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Mix ¼ cup salt, sugar, and water in large container with the chicken. Place a plate onto the chicken to hold it under the brine. Refrigerate for 4 hours. Discard brine, rinse chicken, and pat it dry.
- In a large bowl, toss vegetables with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon salt and garlic; rub into a paste. Add ¼ tsp. pepper, 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme, oregano, and 1 tablespoon olive oil and mix well. Rub half of this mixture inside the cavity of the chicken. Rub the remaining herb mixture over the outside of the chicken.
- Add lemon, onion, and the remaining thyme sprigs to the cavity of the chicken. Brush melted butter on bottom of roasting pan. Place chicken on wire rack in roasting pan and surround with carrots, potatoes, and shallots. Pour broth into pan.
- Roast chicken and vegetables uncovered for 1 hour, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked and vegetables are tender. Baste chicken occasionally with liquid in pan. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.