Savory Sourdough Strata
Prepared the night before, a strata is an easy weekend brunch main dish.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 oz. baby spinach leaves
- 1 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 9 thick slices sourdough bread
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices bacon, cooked, cooled, and chopped
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add spinach and pinch of salt, and sauté until wilted. Set aside to cool.
- Spread half the spinach in a thin layer on the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Top with bread slices. Add the remaining spinach in a thin layer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, 1⁄2 cup cheese, remaining salt, and pepper. Pour evenly over bread. Hand-turn to coat any dry slices—ensuring they are all wet. Sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese, feta cheese, and bacon. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, heat oven to 375°F. Bake uncovered 35 minutes, or until cheese melts and egg mixture is fully set.