Savory Tomato Soup
Tomato soup made from fresh tomatoes tastes nothing like the condensed variety. This fresh soup is excellent served with grilled cheese sandwiches.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 small shallots, peeled and minced
- 5 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 can (13 oz.) nonfat evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano leaves
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots; cook and stir until tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add tomatoes and chicken broth; bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Add sugar, evaporated milk, basil, and oregano. Using an immersion blender, purée the soup. Heat until soup steams, but do not boil. Serve immediately topped with pepper.