Scallion Pancakes with Szechuan Pepper Dipping Sauce
Scallion pancakes are wonderfully simple to make, and they are a favorite for children and adults alike. The dipping sauce is zingy, and flavorful—and utterly addicting.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped scallions (white and green parts)
- 1⁄2 tsp. five spice powder
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. regular or spicy sesame oil
- 2 tsp. mirin
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground Szechuan pepper
- Mix together the flour, water, scallions, and five-spice powder.
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When hot, add 1⁄4 cup of the batter. Flatten out with an offset spatula.
- Cook for 4 minutes, or until brown, and then flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Cut pancakes into wedges.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, mirin, and Szechuan pepper. Serve pancakes with the dipping sauce.