You will love how the tender, velvety texture of the chicken contrasts with the crispy and browned crumb topping. Serve with oven-roasted Brussels sprouts or another favorite vegetable.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 4 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 2 cups frozen baby peas
- 3 cups soft whole-wheat bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 3-quart shallow casserole dish lightly with nonstick spray.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the chicken broth, then whisk the beaten eggs into the chicken broth mixture.
- In a bowl, combine chicken and peas; mix to combine. In another bowl, combine crumbs with cheese and mix well. Alternate layering the crumb mixture with the chicken mixture in the prepared casserole, beginning and ending with crumb mixture.
- Pour the chicken broth mixture slowly into casserole. Bake until casserole is brown and bubbly, about 1 hour.