Scalloped Fennel Potatoes
Fennel adds a light fresh flavor to this decidedly savory dish.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 medium shallot, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups half and half
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 6 cups potatoes,, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fennel, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Melt butter in a skillet. Add shallot and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add flour, whisking to combine, for one minute. Gradually add in half and half; cook, whisking constantly for several minutes, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Fold in cheese until melted. Add salt, pepper and thyme.
- Combine onion and fennel. Layer potato and fennel-onion mixture alternately in a lightly greased casserole dish. Pour cheese sauce over top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then cover with aluminum foil. Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender. Remove foil.