This an old-fashioned dish that is always satisfying. It’s perfect served with roasted meat or poultry.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 large onions, peeled and cut into ¼" slices
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup dried breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, heat butter and olive oil. Add onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir occasionally for 10 minutes. Lower heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until onions are soft. Remove lid and cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 8 individual gratin dishes with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In small bowl combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and mix well. In another small bowl, combine milk and eggs and beat until combined. Stir milk and eggs into cooked onions.
- Scoop onion mixture evenly into prepared ramekins. Top with the breadcrumb mixture. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until top is browned.