Scalloped Potatoes and Mushrooms
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped onion
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt ¼ cup butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the mushrooms and onions in the butter until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper. Cook until smooth, then add the milk; heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Spray a 2 to 2 ½-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer about a third of the potato slices, sprinkle with parsley and top with half of the mushroom sauce. Repeat twice, ending with potatoes. Dot the top with 1 tablespoon butter. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Uncover, sprinkle with breadcrumbs, and bake for ½ hour longer, or until potatoes are tender.