Scallops with Quinoa and Cayenne Citrus Glaze
Orange zest and cayenne pepper flavor this quinoa and scallop dish.
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- sea salt
- 4 oranges
- 2 tablespoons sugar in the raw
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1⁄2 pounds sea scallops
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chives, snipped
- Combine the quinoa, 2 cups water and 1/2 tsp. sea salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the water is absorbed, 12-14 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grate 2 tsp. orange zest, then juice oranges. Sprinkle the sugar in a skillet and cook over medium-high heat until dark orange, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vinegar, orange juice, zest and cayenne pepper. Return to heat and boil to thicken, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and add butter; keep warm.
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add scallops; sear until golden, 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook 2-3 more minutes.
- Divide quinoa among plates. Top with the scallops and drizzle with the Cayenne Citrus Glaze. Garnish with chives.