Scotch Lamb Soup
Serve this soup with hearty bread for a satisfying meal on a blustery day.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cups cubed lean lamb meat
- 8 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- ⅓ cup pearl barley
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley
- In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Brown the lamb pieces, turning them to brown on all sides. Add the water, bay leaf, and onions; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook for 1½ hours.
- Increase heat to high. Add the celery, potatoes, carrots, and barley, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the cabbage and parsley and cook for 10 to 15 minutes longer. Remove the bay leaf before serving.